Encryption is the best way to protect your sensitive data. When we save some important data, we love to keep them secure. If you leave your Mac logged in office or at your home then there may be the chance of hacking or unauthorized access of your data whether you are working on Mac , Windows or Linux. In these conditions, encryption helps you to manage your data.
Encryption is the way to change your data into unreadable form by using advance algorithm. Initially, data encryption was being used by military people to protect the sensitive information before internet era. Now, data encryption is used in every field like shopping, banking, money transaction etc.
Mac OS X provides an in-built encryption utility which helps you to keep your data secure.
If you want to protect single iWork or PDF document, you can do it easily via iWork application. You can do it through encrypted disk image.
Disk Utility helps you to create image of your data:
1.Click on Disk Utility (located in Applications/Utilities).
2. Click on File menu, select new blank disk image.
3. A dialog box appear, choose a name for your disk image and the location where you would like to keep them.
4. Click to Create, you will be prompted to enter your password.
5. To choose the password that is easy to remember and hard to crack, you have to open Password Assistant by just clicking on the button next to password field.
6. Next deselect the “Remember Password” option before pressing OK.
7. After Images are Created, you would run any of image, you will be prompt for the password.
8. After entering correct password, it will mount disk image to desktop.
Slow Mac performance is a general problem, it occurs after long time usage of Mac OS X. You need some Speed Up Mac utility to improve your Mac performance. An SSD is of-course the best fix but an expensive one.
Just search for some secure and easy to use Mac cleaning tool. Clean my Mac and Speed up Mac of Stellar can be considered.
Mac OS X has the one more in-built tool to keep your data secure- Using File Vault
FileVault is a way of automatically encrypting your data for security purpose, it was introduced back with OS X 10.3 (Panther). It helps to encrypt and decrypt the user’s home folder but, if you forget password by mistakenly, you never recover them. With the introduction of Lion, Apple introduced FileVault 2. The File Vault 2 is differ with File Vault in operation as it can encrypt the entire hard disk.
Data encryption is not just for high-level area/people. It’s for everyone who wishes to protect the contents of their Mac hard drive from unauthorized access, malicious sabotage etc. Ability of File Vault depends on running version of Mac.
FileVault 2 also supports incremental backup and recovery with Apple’s built-in Time Machine backup software and offers an user recovery key if you have forgotten the FileVault 2 password. Also, this recovery key can be stored on your Apple device and it will encrypts the key. Thus it provides authorized access by providing three security questions.
How to Enable FileVault
2. Select FileVault and click Turn On FileVault.
If you have a multiple users, you can specify particular user who will be allowed to decrypt the Mac disk. To do so, you have to just put your password. After successful log-in, you would be presented with the master password or recover key, but as we know the it is too complicated to keep safe, so the Apple is provided with the option of storing the password and key at its server so that if any misplace, user can access the drive with the server help.
1. Next, As you click on Turn ‘ON’, a window will be pop-up and you will be asked to choose password.
2. Select FileVault tab and then click ‘Turn On’ option.
3. As you click on Turn ‘ON’, a window will be pop-up and you will be asked to choose password.
4. Once all user accounts have a password associated with the account, click continue . This password key is used when the master password is lost, one can recover their data by using it.
5. When you would click ‘OK’ you will be asked to whether or not you would like to store your password with Apple server.
6. After that, you have to restart your system
FileVault is one of the trusted utility which helps to keep your data secure. For more data secure software like the software which can help you in recovering Mac deleted files, you can visit our blog post to know more.